Monday 26 April 2010

Peanut Cookies

I was looking through this cookbook a friend got me before I left for the UK. It's called Betty Saw's Kitchen Secrets and I was browsing through the recipes looking for something to make this Chinese New Year. The peanut cookie (Fah Sang Peng) recipe seemed pretty straightforward so I tried it! I'm proud to say that everyone who has tried the cookies liked it :)

So here it is for you guys to recreate it on your own.

Ingredients:
350g shelled roasted peanuts
270g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
350g (3 1/4 cups) plain flour, sifted
250ml (1 cup) good quality groundnut oil
Glace cherries, cut into 1/4 cm pieces, for decoration
Egg wash: 2 egg yolks + 2 tsp milk, beaten together

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 325-350F/175C/ Gas 3-4.
2) Blend roasted peanuts in electric blender until fine and crumbly
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine peanuts, sugar, vanilla essence and flour.
4) Make a well in the centre and pour in the groundnut oil.
5) Mix well with a wooden spoon.
6) Lightly run through the mixture with fingers to bind into a crumbly dough.
7) Shape into balls about the size of a cherry and lay out on baking sheet.
8) Make a dent into each ball with the pointed end of a chopstick. Place a piece of cherry into each dent. If not using cherries, just use a straw to make a circle pattern instead of a dent.
9) Brush cookies with egg wash.
10) Bake in oven for 20-25 mins or until golden.

When I was making this, Sara was using pretty much the same recipe to make almond cookies. All you need to do is substitute the peanuts for roasted almonds. She also reduced the amount of sugar slightly since almonds don't have as strong a flavour as peanuts. You could always taste and tweak the measurements as you go about making them.

Enjoy!

*Sorry no picture. When I made this, I had not replaced my stolen camera yet :( *

No comments:

Post a Comment